Pierrick Fedrigo of Bbox Bouyges Telecom spoils Lance Armstrong and the rest of the breakaway’s chance on winning Stage 16 of the Tour de France. Sandy Casar of Francaise des Jeux came in at second place while third place went to Ruben Plaza of Caisse de Espargne.
The 199km stage from Bagnères-de-Luchon to Pau began with a lead of ten riders: Lance Armstrong, Chris Horner, Sandy Casar, Ignatas Konovalovas, Carlos Barredo, Jurgen Van de Walle, Pierrick Fedrigo, Christophe Moreau, Ruben Plaza Molina and Damiano Cunego.
The breakaway which came together at the beginning of the stage encountered little change until the finish. Fedrigo won the stage with a sprint finish after an attack from Carlos Barredo of Quick Step.
At the final stretch, the peloton arrived led by Thor Hushovd who won the sprint at 10th place. This allowed him to take back the green jersey from Alessandro Petacchi.
Stage 16 Top 10:
1. Pierrick Fédrigo (Fra) Bbox Bouyges Telecom
2. Sandy Casar (Fra) Française des Jeux
3. Ruben Plaza (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne
4. Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
5. Chris Horner (USA) Team RadioShack
6. Lance Armstrong (USA) Team RadioShack
7. Jurgen Van De Walle (Bel) Quick Step
8. Christophe Moreau (Fra) Caisse d’Epargne
9. Carlos Barredo (Spa) Quick Step
10. Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervélo TestTeam