The Pan American Mountain Bike Championships saw Todd Wells and Willow Koerber take the podium in each of their respective category. The race in Guatemala City was a continuation of their success in the season.
Over the weekend, Wells fought well and hard to get his victory over Ruben Valeriano of Brazil. Wells can attribute his great form from winning the men’s crosss-country race in Fontana. Valeriano settled for silver while Max Plaxton of Canado took the bronze after a race crash recovery earlier in the season.
Fresh from winning the short-track at the first Pro XCT race of the season in Fontana, two weeks ago, Koerber sped to victory at the Pan Am. Mary McConneloug came in at second place while Heather Irmiger finished third.
Other cyclists chose not to join the Pan Am due to the first World Cup at Dalby Forest in UK. They were Cathering Pendrel, George Kabush, Marie-Helene Premont and Emily Batty.
Contenders Adam Craig and Katie Compton are also not in the start list. Craig is still under rehab after his knee surgery while Compton still has problems on her leg cramping.
1. Todd Wells (USA) 1:52:55
2. Rubens Valeriano (Brazil) 1:53:32
3. Max Plaxton (Canada) 1:53:55
4. Luís Anderson Mejía Sánchez (Colombia) 1:54:26
5. Andrew Watson (Canada) 1:54:45
6. Sam Schultz (USA) 1:55:09
7. Derek Zandstra (Canada) 1:55:31
8. Catriel Soto (Argentina) 1:55:50
9. Paolo Montoya (Costa Rica) 1:56:05
10. Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (USA) 1:56:07
13. Manuel Prado (Costa Rica)
16. Michael Broderick (USA) 1:59:25
1. Willow Koerber (USA)
2. Mary McConneloug (USA)
3. Heather Irmiger (USA)
4. Angela Parra Sierra (Colombia)
5. Mical Dyck (Canada)
7. Amand Sin (Canada)
8. Lorenza Morfin Macouzet (Mexico)
9. Daniela Campuzano Chavez (Mexico)
10. Alexandra Serrano (Ecuador)